Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Stinking Hot

While we're still a bit away from the dry and therefore hot season here, it's plenty warm enough currently for someone who hails from balmy New England, attend University in the "Lake Effect" impacted regions of Upstate New York.

Yesterday the SIMAS finance guy and myself were scheduled to go to the bank and take care of a few other errands. Errands here are a 2 hour affair without fail, but yesterday due to the 'surprise' visit of Hosni Mubarek, the Egyptian President, our trip turned into a four hour slog.

Only once before have I been on the go something that made me want to vomit on the spot and very nearly did; passing by a fish market in Chinatown in New York City on stinking hot late July afternoon.

Burning trash; nasty, but not vomit inducing. Stinking nasty mess of a little river full of trash and lord only knows what else here in Juba; revolting, but not vomit inducing. Diapers; nearly vomit inducing, but not quite so. Close though.

Mayonnaise notwithstanding, I am fairly certain this scent i caught a wiff of in Chinatown that afternoon is the only odor that can instantly bring me to the precipice of vomitdom.

Well, what to my wondering olfactory senses did appear yesterday wafting through the air as we were driving through the Konyo Konyo fish market yesterday morning, but this very same odor.

Mind you I've driven through here before without catching this glorious scent making an appearance.

Apparently the conditions were just right and just like before, boom, instantly I was feeling the proverbial flow.

Fortunately if the action does begin right away, it's not a feeling that lingers. So far I am 2 for 2 in escaping embarrassment in that regard.

The rest of the day was hot, dusty and draining. The toll the heat and moving around to do things like go to the bank takes is amazing, considering these are the very same things you do at home, just under different climactic circumstances.

After a long hot one, I was in no mood for driving all over creation and I went to this over priced place called Da Vinci Lodge, which is down by the river. I must stop going there, maybe it was the food, or maybe it was the day catching up with me, but I sure wasn't on top of my game after finishing up there.

And of course when I got back to the compound there was a small army of people milling around, our future tenants has a puncture and had pulled in to repair it, but didn't have the tools to do so, which left me in my state having to hunt around for an appropriate 'spanner'.

It all came together and I went to sleep early and slept fairly well.

Today we're going up to the minefield to watch the lads work and blow stuff up.

3 comments:

  1. Before they blast stack a huge pile of pies, maybe you can cure one of the worlds problems Yes, hunting down the last Sally Struthers, that is one animal that needs to be exterminated. She might be at the fish market, my she was the smell you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing the effect of smells!

    Skippy's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You young punks don't know nothing about TV history. "The Courtship of Edidie's Father" was a classic situation comedy on ABC from 1969-1972 starring Bill Bixby, Brandon Cruz, Miyoshi Umeki, James Komack, and Kristina Holland. The great song writer, Harrry Nilsson wrote "Best Friends" which was the theme song for the show. He also wrote "Me and My Arrow",which was in the film "The Point" "Everybody's Talking"(..about you) from "Midnight Cowboy"and "Without You" sung by Badfinger.

    ReplyDelete