Sunday, November 16, 2008

My New Best Friend

It's another lazy (read boring) Sunday afternoon here in the dust bowl that Juba has now turned into as a result of the rainy season abruptly drawing to a close. No trickling off, one last wild dumping of rain a week ago Friday followed by a cool Saturday and that was it.

Now a hot dry breeze blows and the once red and muddy roads are now dusty and bleached white. With the wind and traffic you get a steady cloud of dust blowing that coats everything. I've just noticed the grit on my arms and have felt it in my eyes, which isn't the kind of thing a contact lens wearer really wants to experience. Can't be good for the corneas.

You also get a little extra crunch with your meals as a result. I'm starting to get used to it, I've stopped thinking I've chipped a tooth or I'm chewing on bone.

Funny thing is I'm breathing better here than in LA even though I would assume the air quality is worse than that member of poor air quality royalty. More cars in LA yes, but as many old, poorly kept cars running on bad gas? No. Lots of fires in LA, lots of fires burning here too! These are deliberately set however. Burning here is like mowing your lawn in the US. I'd say it was to facilitate farming, but no one farms here along the fertile Nile oddly enough. From eggs to soap, everything is imported. Rather sad.

After that digression, back to my boring Sunday. This morning I had to drive one of our deminers to the airport for a trip to Nairobi where he's getting his Level III Explosive Ordnance Disposal training. Afterward I tried to find Nimule Logistics, a company that is supposed to have some solid, quality fresh meats on hand. I drove back and forth where I thought the joint was to be, to no avail. Not a great loss since as of right now I still do not have 24 hour power.

After that little sidetrip after the airport drop off i went to pick up two electricians who are working on rigging up the compound perimeter lighting. I ended up driving back and forth and forth and back because they weren't where they were supposed to be. They are pleasant people though, Kenyans.

I noticed a stepped up Police/SPLA presence around town today, the Kenyans thought it was because they heard a rumor that there was going to be another student protest tomorrow. Well, that theory was quickly dismissed when the lone police motor cycle in the area came blasting by and nothing followed it for a good long while until the town's only police car came up behind us. This is when I figured it was time to pull over. Following the police car was a brief gap, then a military pick up truck and the presidential Landcruisers, which were tailed by another pick up full of soldiers.

As soon as I saw the police motorcyle, I knew exactly what was up, because Salva is my new best friend. We keep running into each other all over town, we share the same fine taste in food.

Last night I attempted to go to the one place in Juba that actually manages to a) taste good b) fill me up c) is almost worth the exhorbitent prices they charge. When I drove by the normally open gate was closed and there was a heavy 'security' presence. I decided a few AKs and one PKM was not going to keep me from a decent meal, so I drove back by for another look, raising suspcion no doubt as it looked like I was casing the joint, parked the Land Rover and walked on over to the door.

I asked the crack security team ( only just a hint of sarcasm there a motley bunch for what turned out to be the presidential guard) if they were open and if I could eat and they said sure. So I stepped through the open door and the metal detector, which of course bleeted because it came upon me so fast I didn't have time to empty the pockets. They just waved me through and patted me down. I pulled out the car keys and the Thuraya just to be sure I wasn't raising their ire and they were happy and sent me on my merry way. I intended to go for a hamburger at the Nile restaurant, one of 4 establishments on sight and then get some take away from the Thai place for later in the evening. Much to my dismay, moments after I sat down the waiter came back and informed me there was a long back up in the kitchen, would I like a sandwich. No, I would like a hamburger I thought to myself while politely looking once again at the menu. Salami, no. Chicken sald, absolutely not.

"I can wait, I am not in a hurry, I'd really like a burger please."

The waiter left to see what the hope there might be of me getting what I wanted. He quickly returned and said the kitchen was unwilling to make me anything, they had to focus, the president, Salva Kiir was there.

Ahhhh ha! That explains that. Disappointed I packed myself up and left. The guys outside were wondering what was up in a nice way, I said they wouldn't cook for me, they hoped I'd come back some other time. I thought that was nice of them, but that didn't help me out last night.

I trudged off to the Land Rover and made my way to another establishment that worked, but wasn't really satisfying like this place would have been. Ohhhhh weeellll.

Salva's got a little work to do on making his motorcade a truly regal and ostentatious affair, just a half dozen, maybe 8 vehicles isn't a motorcade befitting of a man of his stature. And I hardly doubt it was a conscious decision to keep it simple to maintain his street cred with the proletariate, though you never know. Interestingly there are no Benz' or BMWs here. This is strictly Tie-ota, Nissan and Mitsubishi territory with the odd Land Rover thrown in. Most exotic cars I have seen to date; Lincoln Navigator and a Volkswagen Polo 4 door. Wild!

Upon seeing Salva for the second time in less than 24hours--well, upon being in close proximity for the second time in 24 hours, neither time did I actually see him--the theme song from my favorite buddy reality show, Rob & Big popped into my head. Salva and I are best buds now, so that's a logical reaction.

I suggest you all seek it out and give it a listen, or better yet, give the show a watching. I see all episodes are available for download on the MTV website. Too bad I can't download worth a hoot here, because the zany antics of Rob & Big would sure help me pass the time!

Someone could do that and burn it onto a DVD or three for me for Christmas, that would be most rightuous. Oh and so would a copy of Bill and Ted's! Get the staff gathered round watching that? Now that would be something.

I wonder what Mini-Horse it up to in those Hollywood Hills?

Let me tell you about my beeeest friend, he's a warm hearted person who will love me to the end...

7 comments:

  1. I am so far out, I'll never be in again! Who are these people??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skippy's Mom said...
    You young punks don't know nothing about TV history. "The Courtship of Edidie's Father" was a classic situation comedy on ABC from 1969-1972 starring Bill Bixby, Brandon Cruz, Miyoshi Umeki, James Komack, and Kristina Holland. The great song writer, Harrry Nilsson wrote "Best Friends" which was the theme song for the show. He also wrote "Me and My Arrow",which was in the film "The Point" "Everybody's Talking"(..about you) from "Midnight Cowboy"and "Without You" sung by Badfinger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your buddy Salva Kiir is The First Vice President of the Republic of the Sudan and President of the Government of Southern Sudan. Damned impressive title! He needs a white Escalade with gold trim and smoked windows for his official wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha ha, yes, well I believe the proprietor of the restaurant he and I frequent almost has that type of ride. I think it is a Navigator, but close!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I agree 100%. here's some more info on watch bones

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting. Anything related to digestion is a pretty personal topic. If you're interested in more info based on mass response to this, check out this watch bones page

    ReplyDelete