Sunday, November 2, 2008

Packed More Wisely


Today was a painfully boring day. I have come to the realization that in order to keep boredom at bay, I am going to need to find some sort of outlet. Gardening is one thought. Considering how food obsessed I am, it would make a lot of sense. I am just not all that excited by the thought of it though.

The logical thing, for both mental and physical health, would be to start working out. This whole last year has been an on again off again work out year. Having worked two jobs for the better part of it, there just wasn't any time in the schedule except on the weekends and working out twice a week gets you no where.

Here the issue is security and the dirth of viable workout options. There is ultimate frisbee, but that would require playing ultimate frisbee. There is a running club, that's a slightly more attractive option, but still requires running, something I have not done in easily 4 years when during the summer of 2004 I got some strange idea in my head about running a 5k in Central park. It was painful. It was super hot and humid and I was super slow. I was rewarded for my efforts by being serenaded by Flock of Seagulls while on course and Devo post event.

Ideally I would like to ride a bike, it's the one thing I really enjoy and escape through, but a) finding a bike suitable is going to be a challenge-I'd have to import one, no question and b) road security is an issue. Road security meaning horrible roads and even worse drivers to contend with. There is also some question of banditry in certain areas that is a bit of a deterrent too. I have thought increasingly about a BMX bike. I figure I could open up a BMX park here, right in my compound at first. Plenty of dirt, plenty of open space. They kids would love it. Keep the off the streets and from begging. Hell, there was a black South African in the Men's Olympic BMX race this year, so why not?

It's a proiect that might take a little while to materialize, so I better think of something to do in the in the between time.

What would be great, which I of course forgot to pack, would be my Fitness Made Simple DVD by none other than the master of infomercials himself, John Basedow. "A low impact workout at a heart pumping cardio pace." I wish I had packed that DVD along with many other items instead of all these friggin pairs of pants I will never wear. Don't know what I was thinking packing so many dress clothes. When you are in these places the convertable safari pants reign supreme.

When I am at home for Christmas the first thing I am going to do is put that DVD in my bag, then I am going to go out and buy some wiffle ball gear and possibly some lawn darts and horse shoes, maybe a croquet set too. We'll see, I don't want to get carried away.

Thanks to Lenny for letting me watch all those Fitness Made Simple infomercials and for hooking me up with the DVD!

1 comment:

  1. Brian....you write very well. Very interesting observations. Keep it up!

    If you have sharp scissors, cut off the least decent pair of long pants you brought to make shorts of any length. Make them long enough so you can roll up into a cuff, near the knee, the part that is going to get stringy every time they're washed.

    Skippy's Mom

    ReplyDelete