Sunday, November 23, 2008

PT


So I have been traveling a bit the last few days, but before I tell you about my new favorite place, I want to finally get around to a post I've been meaning to write since the first days of this adventure. It's a quick post really, just a bit of a note on the morning routine on the wrong side of the Juba bridge.

Out in Gumbo, that's the name of the 'suburb' of Juba where the compound is located, more and more people and 'structures' are popping up. The current main attractions in our neck of the woods besides ourselves are the GTZ/WFP crowd and a SPLA barracks.

Mornings are fairly pleasant times, because the relative cool of the night time lingers nicely. Most people in the lesser developed parts of the world operates roughly speaking on the sun-up to sun-down schedule, the folks in my neighborhood are no exception.

I of course do not and that is probably why I am so frustrated sleep-wise. What I have come to appreciate about the early morning hustle and bustle is the rhythmic sounds of boots hitting the ground and the pleasant sounding songs the SPLA soldier sing that they get their morning jog in. I haven't the foggiest as to what their singing about, but it sure sounds since. I particularly like the parts punctuated with little high pitched yips and ululating.

The funny thing is while the jog by the front of the compound heading away from the barracks towards town, they never seem to come back by the front.

Where do they go? There must be a trail around the back that takes them back to the barracks or something.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should leap out of bed and join them on their morning jog someday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be interesting to witness their reactions, that's for sure! Not sure it would be the wisest move, but those country bumpkins would probably be so stunned they wouldn't know how to react.

    ReplyDelete