Sunday, January 18, 2009

Portable Sanity Preserver

While the HMTB assures its user a chance to shake his money maker for as many of the two minutes as he/she can tolerate at the opening and close of each day (I have now worked up to 1 minute 25 seconds), the Sony PSP really does yeoman's work when it comes to staving off the onset of boredom.

Newly acquired at Christmas time--sincerest pf thanks to all who provided me with the machine and the dozen games I now have--I am already through a quarter of an NBA season in a few short weeks.

It is very easy to pass a couple of hours obsessively trying to get less than spectacular NBA players, like one P.J. Brown, to score in the double digits against the 'Lake Show' as one B.E.D. refers to them (I think B.E.D. has received more references in this blog than communications from me in the last night). My college roommates and I all rather enjoyed playing NBA Live, passing countless hours in front of the glowing box playing 'vintage' NBA Live (being from 94 or 95 qualified as vintage in 1998).

One of the favorite facets of game play from that era was the deliberate playing and virtually exclusive use of a single player from outside of the starting roster. Andrew Declerq was a favorite of mine (he had an illustrious career with the Celtics in some of the leaner years of their decade of despair). B.E.D. eclusively used Jeff Hornacek of the Utah Jazz and Reg made a habit of using Horatio Llamos, who was a Phoenix Sun at the time if I recall correctly. Reg was a real wiz of the joystick, he could make Horatio move in the paint in ways that Andrew DeClerq couldn't even dream of. B.E.D.'s mastery of "Hornball's" 3 point shooting prowess was truly remarkable. a 70 point game for B.E.D. and Hornball were the rule, not the exception.

I guess not much has changed in a decade. Wow, a decade. A decade has passed since my glory days as a video game player and here I sit in sweltering dusty Sudan trying to rekindle the flame.

I certainly have time on my side when it comes to rekindling the flame. Once I satifactorily rekindle the NBA Live flame, I will move on to Madden 2009 and see if I can't get Rookie Tight End to get his spin move on.

Time to power up, have an Oreo purchased in Kenya, made under license in the Philipines and get playing.

2 comments:

  1. Imagine if there was a NEW version of Pitfall or Centipede for PSP?! I would ROCK that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of my small part in helping to preserve your sanity in faraway lands! Can't figure out who B.E.D. was from the golden year at SU. Now let's devote some time to uploading your recent pix from Nairobi!

    ReplyDelete