Sunday, February 8, 2009

Being Milton Friedman

The deminers in the field are much maligned, blamed for vehicle breakdowns and unnecessary fuel expenditures. The breakdowns may well be their doing, but it appears that none are outside of the course of the typical wear and tear a vehicle covering these miserable roads would suffer.

The sky high fuel costs it seems are the doing of the office staff plundering and using the field staff as scape goats. I've also realized that the field staff have not received an increase in their feeding allowances since 2005, forgotten by the diesel addled brains of the administrative staff long ago.

You can't arbitrarily up a feeding allowance, however, and recalling similar issue my past organizaiton faced with staff in Cambodia, I once again donned my Milton Friedman cap and broke out the calculator and various readings I could find on economics and Sudan and calculated the Consumer Price Index inflation rate for the last 4 years. For many of you the notion of myself engaged in any sort of math related practice that will have some sort of an impact on others well beings is, well, probably nothing short of appaling.

Well, I'll have you all know that I am quite confident in my calaculations. Henceforth, each deminer should receive an additional 3 pounds per day for their feeding allowance. I actually rounded it up to three pounds because I am such a generous guy.

I am very proud of my CPI calculating accomplishment, now I just have to figure out how to catch the fueling theiving office folks red handed.

4 comments:

  1. I am duly impressed with your financial acuity given the way you treat your checkbook.
    3 pounds = ? in USD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished reading a book about Zimbabwe called When a Crocodile Eats the Sun. Not sure I'd want to be anywhere on that continent. Brian, I've got to hand it to you. You've got a lot of guts and determination to do what you do. You've come a long way from whitewashing our picket fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Math makes my brain hurt to this day. Good for you for figuring it all out! If only you could apply that to you debts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^^ Nahhner is calling you out...o snap!

    ReplyDelete